These last two years have presented the greatest challenges our Fitness Industry has ever experienced.
Not just in keeping our businesses up and running, including taking care of members and keeping them engaged, but also in the retention of staff - many are not just leaving our businesses, they're leaving the industry.
We're finding more and more fitness professionals looking for greater job security, something that, during repeated lockdowns, is almost non-existent in the fitness industry.
So how do we fix our staffing issues?
We whip up an advert and post it on SEEK and you sit back and watch all of the applications roll in and you think to yourself how am I going to get through all of these CV's right?
Unfortunately, that is a big fat NO!!!
Gone are the times where our biggest concern is how am I going to get through all of these CV's and organise interviews and work out who is going to be the best hire.
Our industry has had over a 70% decrease in applications compared to 2019 and in some regions of the country, it's a lot worse than that!
Here are 4 points that need to be used in 1 complete talent acquisition strategy.
1. ADVERTISING - HealthyPeople (including Seek) & Indeed
You are probably thinking 'hang on you just said that this option doesn't work, yet you're saying we should advertise?'
Advertising does work when done correctly. Specifically, we need to stop "advertising" our available roles and shift to "marketing" the role.
We need to think of the recruitment process as a "Sales" one. We need to market and sell both our businesses and our available roles to future employees. It's all about making candidates feel safe and engaged and eager to come work for you.
Five points for a great job ad;
- A brief overview of the business and your facility - not just equipment but talk about your values and beliefs and specifically. Show why it's a great place to work
- What are the benefits of working for YOU - Eg, training & development, what the culture is like, career progression, this is where you really sell/market your opportunity
- What the role entails - write this part as the reader can see themselves doing the role
- Required Qualifications - Less is more. Remember, hire for attitude and train for skill.
- What the recruitment process looks like - Let them know what to expect
I'm a big believer in 'controlling the controllables'
In the current market, Headhunting is the most successful recruitment strategy employers can use. Rather than waiting for people to apply for the role, employers are in control of who they speak to.
When you are selling your memberships your team is out there calling prospects and selling the facility to get them to sign up. We need to take the same approach when recruiting/headhunting.
- Search for skills or qualifications or behaviours that you want and contact those people. If you're on HealthyPeople, don't worry about how long it's been since they were last active, because...
- The best people in the market are the people who are not actively applying for roles and the ones who sometimes just need a tap on the shoulder.
- If a candidate is not available right now, but you like them, make sure you "pool" them correctly and stay in touch with them. Keep them warm so they remember you when they're ready
- If you find people who you think are great, find a role for them. If you want a great team, think about the person first, and the position second
- Target people who work for companies where you've had great people come from in the past
Where to search for these candidates?
A Business Membership with HealthyPeople is an obvious choice. Other options include LinkedIn & SEEK Talent.
3. TAP INTO YOUR OWN NETWORK
Being the hiring manager means you're most likely have been in the industry long enough to be connected with fitness professionals and 1000's of members across your facilities. Sometimes we forget to reach out to people we know to see if they are looking for new opportunities or to see if they have referrals.
- Access your own personal network (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn etc)
- Implement staff referral campaigns - happy staff refer people they like and want to work with
- Target your members - If your members have been enjoying your facilities and loving the vibe of your club they would be great prospects for them to work for you
You just never know who might see your post or one that has been shared within your network. It's a very cost-effective way to find that next superstar employee.
4. ALWAYS BE RECRUITING
We all fall into the trap of only recruiting when we have a need. Too often, we're blindsided when someone hands in their notice and find ourselves 'panic-recruiting' to replace them.
- We always need to be recruiting (using all 3 strategies above)
- Talent Pooling is key - make detailed notes, keep them engaged and keep them warm
- Have a business card on you at all times as you may come across someone you meet and think wow they would be a great employee.
I hope this provides some insight to help you build your superstar team and smash your business targets.
If you do need any help with the above please feel to reach out as I am here to help
Brenden Clark | General Manager
03 9021 0836 | email@example.com